Diamond Guide, Information and Buying Tips for Loose Diamonds and Engagement Rings

Go Back   Diamond Forums @ Diamond Info.org > Diamond Forums > Jewelry Design

Old 06-06-2008, 09:05 PM   #1
JillyBeanz
Diamond Rookie

Default Resizing eternity bands

Resizing eternity bands.... is it pointless??? If the band is too small, would it be better to sell it and get a new ring or is it possible to adjust it??? I'd hate to just ruin it but its too small and its got sentimentel value.

Options????
JillyBeanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:50 AM   #2
Yosef
Verified Diamond Dealer

It really depends on the ring and the sizing that is needed. Sizing up 1/2 a ring size, or even a full size may be possible, depending on the style of the ring.

For example I'll explain. Going from a size 6.5 to a 7 is only a difference in diameter of 0.4mm So if you were to shave 0.2mm thickness off the inside of the ring it would become a 7.... and 0.2mm is only the thickness of about 2 sheets of paper, which is a very small amount. So just by removing a little bit of material the size can be adjusted.

If the ring is 2.5mm, 3mm thick, etc it's no problem. However when we start getting to very thin rings like 1mm, 1.5mm this could cause a problem. A very thick ring like 3mm may allow it to go all the way down to 2mm thick and still be strong and not alter the design of the ring... and by removing 1mm of material all the way around, you increase the diameter 2mm and therefore that's about 2-1/2 ring sizes up. So to answer your question it really depends. If you can attach a photo and tell me what the size is now and what size you want it to be, I could probably advise you better.

Adylon Diamonds & Bridal Jewelry
358 N. First St. Burbank, CA 91502.
Yosef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 12:22 AM   #3
amol1980

If you are thinking to resize your bands or ring by 1/2 or 1/4 finger size, consider that many times a new ring can take a few days to feel comfortable on your finger. Also your fingers may change size throughout a day, depending on the weather and tempertature. Your ring or bands may fit more comfortable at different times of day. It is recommended that you wear the ring for aprroximately 48 hours before deciding whethet or not to resize and then go to resize it.
amol1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 05:45 PM   #4
Ice Lady
Diamond Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosef View Post
It really depends on the ring and the sizing that is needed. Sizing up 1/2 a ring size, or even a full size may be possible, depending on the style of the ring.

For example I'll explain. Going from a size 6.5 to a 7 is only a difference in diameter of 0.4mm So if you were to shave 0.2mm thickness off the inside of the ring it would become a 7.... and 0.2mm is only the thickness of about 2 sheets of paper, which is a very small amount. So just by removing a little bit of material the size can be adjusted.

If the ring is 2.5mm, 3mm thick, etc it's no problem. However when we start getting to very thin rings like 1mm, 1.5mm this could cause a problem. A very thick ring like 3mm may allow it to go all the way down to 2mm thick and still be strong and not alter the design of the ring... and by removing 1mm of material all the way around, you increase the diameter 2mm and therefore that's about 2-1/2 ring sizes up. So to answer your question it really depends. If you can attach a photo and tell me what the size is now and what size you want it to be, I could probably advise you better.
I never thought about resizing from the inside. It makes a lot of sense! You answered my question before I could ask it.... thanks!
Ice Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:23 PM   #5
GroomDude
Diamond Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillyBeanz View Post
Resizing eternity bands.... is it pointless??? If the band is too small, would it be better to sell it and get a new ring or is it possible to adjust it??? I'd hate to just ruin it but its too small and its got sentimentel value.

Options????
Honestly, I would say maybe sell it to get a new ring, at least then you would have one that fits perfectly instead of having to resize and resize.
GroomDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:47 AM   #6
SimonW

It's very difficult to resize FULL eternity rings, as these have diamonds set all the way around the band, with no 'spare' metal. Half eternity rings can (usually) be resized.
or visit our professional insight into all diamond related issues at [url]http://www.dejoriadiamonds.wordpress.com[/url]
SimonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:32 AM   #7
yuridebura
Diamond Rookie

Since having my babies in December, my knuckles are larger and my ring won't fit anymore. It's not so much a question of fat fingers, but bone. So I don't have much hope that it'll fit one day. I'd guess that it needs to be at least a half size larger.

Is there any way to get it resized? Or am I going to have to have it made into another piece of jewelry? (And if so, what?)
yuridebura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:50 AM   #8
Nik777

Default Sizing Eternity Diamond Rings

This is not an easy task... many jewelers would probably recommend spending a little extra and re-making the ring in the correct size. You don't want to attempt re-sizing an eternity diamond ring and then later have problems like the diamonds falling out etc... good luck!

Last edited by Nik777; 10-03-2010 at 11:54 AM.
Nik777 is offline   Reply With Quote