Diamond Guide, Information and Buying Tips for Loose Diamonds and Engagement Rings

Go Back   Diamond Forums @ Diamond Info.org > Diamond Forums > Diamond Discussions

Old 05-13-2008, 02:45 PM   #1
Ham51D

Default color/clarity question

Is there any real functional difference between something D color vs. E or F. Likewise, would there be any practical difference between something VS1/2 or SI1/2. I understand the value of the stone would be better with a D VS1, but I don't plan selling the stone, so I guess what I'm asking is if there are noticible differences to the naked eye, or would it take someone being finicky about it and examining the stone to see if it is lesser quality.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:48 AM   #2
Yosef
Verified Diamond Dealer

The difference between D, E, F? Well that depends on you I guess. A lot of people can not tell the difference between D or G. Some will pick up the difference between D and E. It also comes down to lighting a lot of the time. In all practical purposes, you can not really tell the difference "in the real world" when lighting varies so much, the ring gets a little dirty, the setting impacts the color, and the stone picks up hues from it's environment. When the diamond is loose and being graded in a perfectly white light box, then yes, color grades are easily distinguishable. I hope that helps.

Regarding clarity. I would say yes there's a big difference between VS1 and VS2. In fact I like to think of this difference as VVS2 to SI1 because that's what it really is. There are good VS1's, and there are bad VS2's. So while the difference between a properly graded VS1 and VS2 by GIA may not be so different, the difference between a "good" VS1 and a "not so good" VS2 even graded by GIA is big, and the difference between a 'good" VS1 GIA and a "not so good" VS2 by EGL-Israel is huge. Same can be said for SI1/SI2.

The accuracy of the grading is really key, you have to remember there is no such thing as a VS2 clarity diamond. There is only an opinion of what a VS2 clarity diamond should be. Obviously not all VS2 clarity graded stones have the exact same imperfections, because they are all products of nature. And therefor not all diamonds in the range of VS1-VS2 will either be VS1 or VS2. Some fall somewhere in the middle.

Adylon Diamonds & Bridal Jewelry
358 N. First St. Burbank, CA 91502.
Yosef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:39 PM   #3
Mervyn L. Cohn ASA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham51D View Post
Is there any real functional difference between something D color vs. E or F. Likewise, would there be any practical difference between something VS1/2 or SI1/2. I understand the value of the stone would be better with a D VS1, but I don't plan selling the stone, so I guess what I'm asking is if there are noticible differences to the naked eye, or would it take someone being finicky about it and examining the stone to see if it is lesser quality.
We ran a test recently. A Diamond Dealer in San Francisco agreed to cooperate with us in this test. The test went like this.

1. We asked him to select two or three Certificated one carat size diamonds from his inventory that had been certified as GIA "IDEAL", AGS "O" or EGL "PREMIER IDEAL"
2. To note each stone on a copy of it's cert as 1,2,3 etc.
3. FAX me the numbered certs
4. Place the three stones on his desk before him and without touching them choose which has the better Brilliance/Sparkle.
5. At this time I was running the data on the certs through the FREE eCS calculator on our site.
6. When I had the results I called him and told him that he had chosen stone #2
7. He told me that I was correct and that he thought that we had something here
THIS IS A TRUE STORY AND NOT INTENDED TO BRING YOU TO OUR SITE BUT IT'S SOMETHING THAT WE ARE VERY PROUD OF AND WANT THE WORLD TO KNOW OF IT. THIS STORY HAS BEEN POSTED IN GREATER DETAIL ELSEWHERE.Since cut is the criteria that determins the BRILLIANCE/SPARKLE then the others are secondary to your consideration, that is unless you have more money than you know what to do with which would indicate that you won't have it too much longer.
Mervyn L. Cohn ASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:08 PM   #4
rodman86

This story would have been a little more believable, had you Mervyn (who i'm assuming is in the diamond industry) were not the one telling the story.

Ladies and Gentlemen,
Throughout this site, there are numerous discussions about cut grades...one piece of advise to those who are in the industry and don't want to make a fool of themselves...THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A GIA - IDEAL CUT DIAMOND!!!
Sorry, just had to get that off my chest. GIA cut grades are as follows;

- Excellent
- Very Good
- Good
- Fair
- Poor

Thanks for letting me vent, too bad Mervyn is "Banned", I'd really like to hear his response...would he be apologetic? or maybe just an ASS? (pardon my french)
Old 12-16-2008, 03:21 AM   #5
SimonW

Indeed, there is no such as thing as GIA "Ideal" cut - the equivalent GIA grade is "Excellent".
or visit our professional insight into all diamond related issues at [url]http://www.dejoriadiamonds.wordpress.com[/url]
SimonW is offline   Reply With Quote