Diamond Guide, Information and Buying Tips for Loose Diamonds and Engagement Rings

Go Back   Diamond Forums @ Diamond Info.org > Diamond Forums > Diamond Discussions

Old 12-31-2009, 01:34 PM   #1
dash

Default jared vs. zales vs. local store

Hi all,

I am recently purchased a Scott Kay platinum setting and am looking for a princess cut cente stone ~1.25-1.35 carat wt F-G-H color, VS1-VS2 (maybe a good SI1), etc. and was shopping between Jared and Zales. Of course neither have a stone worth consideration in any store nearby so i'm looking at ordering one from one of them from the online selection or virtual vault.

This has been my experience thus far:

Jared: nice selection, good info on www with pics, staff are friendly at first, in-store mounting for ~1 day turn around, but they are starting to turn because I didn't want to buy the junk single diamond they had in the store. Want to charge me $300 to mount it. Jared is a Scott Kay dealer, so they can do the work for sure, and "should" know what they are doing with the setting.

Zales: Almost no selection in store, friendly staff, have to send ring away for ~7 day turn around for mounting after waiting for an "online only" purchase that can't be sent to the store, but only to me. And not 100% garantee they can do the work. They want another $225 or so for some "lifetime warranty" even though all their diamonds come with a "lifetime diamond commitment"...confusing.

Both are getting on my nerves when I'm looking at spending an additional $7-8,000!

I have since found a local dealer called "Goldstock Jewelers" that are really nice and have great prices. They were rec'd by a co-worker who knows the owner and I trust her judgement, but have no personal/family experience with this place. They seem to have a decent selection and price (something like a 1.34 ct/F/VS1 for ~$6900 and will mount it for free if purchased there (even though I have my setting). I have been trying to get back there to talk more but they close at 5pm and I have a horrid schedule I was worried too about moving away from the area and then my warranty going to stop because the only store for this place is here locally.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:57 AM   #2
dash

Bueler ... Bueler....anybody?
Old 01-04-2010, 02:42 PM   #3
dash

Anybody with good or bad experiences buying diamonds from Jared or Zales??
Old 01-04-2010, 04:15 PM   #4
74vvs1

Try checking at some of theses online vendors.http://www.pricescope.com/dealers.asp All are very reputable dealers. I have no experience with Jareds or Zales.

B.
74vvs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:54 AM   #5
dash

I'm trying to aviod purchasing one online. I prefer to see what I'mbuying when I'm spending that amound of $$. But Jared and zales have an online inventory which I can try and at Jared they don't have any purchase commitment if it ships to the store if I don't like it. Zales unfortunately makes you pay upfront and have it shipped to your house and if you don't like it, you have to return via mail

Last edited by dash; 01-07-2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:54 AM   #6
74vvs1

Good luck,I hope you find what you're after.

B.
74vvs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:55 PM   #7
dash

Default I think I found the stone...

I think I just found what I'm looking for at a local store. Here are the specs:

Carat: 1.25
Color: F
Clarity: VS1
Cut: ideal
Polish/Symm: VG/VG
Sizes (mm): 6.02x5.87x4.28 (I think)
Certified: GIA
Price: $7,200 (with free mounting)

I've seen it and it is really clean. I can't find any inclusions even with the loupe in the store. It looks great on the setting, and "out shines" all the others stones I looked at today side-by-side.

I've seen similar ones online going for $9,500-11,000

Does that seem like a "GOOD DEAL"???
Old 01-10-2010, 05:04 PM   #8
dash

got it back today. Looks great! I'll post a pic when I get a second without her around. Taxes suck! almost an extra thousand bucks to Uncle Sam
Old 01-31-2010, 04:56 PM   #9
dash

Got my appraisal done. From a certified diamondologist, certified by GIA at a local dealer, they said my ring/rock combo is worth $15,000. That's for a Scott Kay, platinum mounting, with 2 princess cut side diamonds (one on each side of the main), and 5 round channel diamonds on each side of that. The total caret weight is estimated to be 5/8 ct , G, SI1 for all the side stones, without the center stone. Then the center stone is 1.25 ct, F, VS1, VG symm, VG polish to top if off (as above). Not too bad. Just have to weight until the "big day" now. Thanks to all for your input on this site! I picked up the matching wedding band, just to be safe that they do not quit making it before she needs it. It's got another set of channel diamonds going around to match the side stones on the engagement ring, totalling another ~7/8 ct. in platinum as well.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:28 AM   #10
DiamondWriter
Diamond Rookie

Wow, that looks like a really good deal! I'm waiting for the pics... it must be beautiful!
DiamondWriter is offline   Reply With Quote